Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Do I really have this many?



When I first decided that I wanted to eat healthy, I was not really sure where to begin and I like many of us, went by the SAD diet. Do you know what that stands for.... doesn't sound like a good diet does it?  Well it stands for the Standard American Diet. Not the best acronym but it is very apropos.

I was learning that what I was doing was not working. So, I had to find out how to change my diet to my lifestyle.

That is where research came into play, I had to start doing my research. In the very beginning I started with Dr. Oz's book, You the Owner's Manual. This book has a plethora of information! From what to how to why. That last part was important for me. I don't like to just be told what to do but I also wanted to know why to do it. This book is great for beginners. I found this copy at the second hand store, but they also have it on Amazon and at the store Half Priced Books.
Great place to start!
He also has a cook book to go along with it
Cooking the Real age way

This is one of   no this is my absolute favorite cookbook! I even bought a copy for my oldest to take with her to college. Martha is my girl ...  She covers it all from pizza dough to the perfect roast chicken to our favorite recipe Spaghetti 101 p.234, my book opens up right to it! :) Now, I know this is not a "health" book but cooking at home from scratch, is a part of being healthy. 
The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook
You have to admit magazines are fun. Not only do I love the beautiful photography, they are very portable. If you are short on time (like most of us) you can read these anywhere, in the car while waiting for kids, while waiting for an appointment, while you are on the elliptical, or like I do, while in the bath tub!!! Magazines are also up to date with the latest data and studies as they come out each month.


Whole Living, lots of recipes 

Health, Tips Tips Tips


Natural Health


Clean Eating, If you are really trying to eat clean this is a great publication.


 This is another one of those books for anyone just starting out. On each page he gives you a food choice then he show you what similar food choice you can have to be healthier.
Eat This, Not That
The Omnivore's Delemma

Micheal Pollan is one of my top go to guys, I first heard him on NPR. promoting this book. This is more of a real read not a recipe book but it is well worth reading.
Food Rules
He also has a more simple book called Food Rules, in that book he lays out easy to follow rules for learning how to make better choices. Each page has a "rule" and then a few paragraphs on why and how to implement each rule.

Example of one of his rules:
Rule 19 - If it came from a plant, eat it: if it was made in a plant, don't.

I highly recommend this book for newbies and for young people.









Now back to the picture at the top of this post, Giada's book: Weeknights with Giada. I was given this book for Mother's Day last year. (per my request) We do not eat any fast food so .......we need quick, healthy and yummy meals. This book has all 3! My 8yr old even makes some of the recipes.
Weeknights with Giada

I am looking forward to purchasing Jacques Pepin's Book: Fast Food My Way. I will let you know what I think, soon....

Well guys there you go, these are some of the printed resources, I use. Soon I will do a post about some of the e-sources that I use as well. 

Let me know what you think. Do you have a favorite cookbook or magazine?  Don't forget to follow me on Facebook. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment